Hip Hop International was founded by Howard & Karen Schwartz in 2002 in Los Angeles, USA. The idea began when they saw street dancers captivating crowds in Paris and Tokyo. They saw the potential for the dance to reach an ever-wider audience and the opportunity to contribute to professionalizing the dance form.
They developed an Olympic style judging standard in collaboration with dance originators, respected street dancers, dance professionals, and choreographers. This standardized rules and regulation is one of the things that make HHI unique and this system is used today by all HHI affiliate countries worldwide.
The South African Hip Hop Crew Championships, presented by Mario Gomes is the premier street dance event in SA. It is a multi-day, live event featuring the best and showcasing the most technically impressive dancers from all 9 Provinces of SA, in a breath-taking and exciting face-off to see who will be the national champions and have the honour of representing South Africa at the World Hip Hop Championships in the USA. We are united under the concept “ONE Country, ONE Team”
Regional competitions in all Provinces
1. Gauteng and North West
2. Kwa Zulu Natal
3. Western Cape, Northern Cape and Eastern Cape
4. Free State
5. Limpopo and Mpumalanga
SOUTH AFRICAN NATIONALS
6.Gauteng or Western Cape (Alternate every year)
Qualify to represent South Africa at the World Championships
JUNIOR CREW DIVISION 7-12yrs. | Min 5 to Max 9 Members | 1:30min
VARSITY CREW DIVISION 13-17yrs. | Min 5 to Max 9 Members | 2:00min
ADULT CREW DIVISION 18 & Over yrs. | Min 5 to Max 9 Members | 2:00min
MINICREW Any Age | 3 Members | 1:30MIN
MEGACREW All Ages | 10-40 Members | 3-4:00MIN
JV MEGA CREW 17yrs & under | 10-40 Members | 3-4:00MIN
1vs1 POPPING SOLO BATTLES
1vs1 LOCKING SOLO BATTLES
1vs1 BREAKING SOLO BATTLES
1vs1 WHACKING SOLO BATTLES
2vs2 ALL STYLE DUO BATTLES
EXTRA DIVISIONS Only done at the South African HHI Competitions
JUNIOR Amateur/Novice CREW DIVISION 7-12yrs. | Min 5 to Max 9 Members | 1:30min
VARSITY Amateur/Novice CREW DIVISION 13-17yrs. | Min 5 to Max 9 Members | 2:00min
ADULT Amateur/Novice CREW DIVISION 18 & Over yrs. | Min 5 to Max 9 Members | 2:00min
MINICREW Amateur/Novice Any Age | 3 Members | 1:30MIN
MEGACREW Amateur/Novice All Ages | 10-40 Members | 3-4:00MIN
JV MEGA CREW 17yrs & under | 10-40 Members | 3-4:00MIN
HIP HOP ALL STYLE JUNIOR SOLOS 7-12yrs | 1min 2 rounds Only | Novice/Amateur/Champ
HIP HOP ALL STYLE VARSITY SOLOS 13-17yrs | 1min 2 rounds Only | Novice/Amateur/Champ
HIP HOP ALL STYLE ADULT SOLOS 18 & Over | 1min 2 rounds Only | Novice/Amateur/Champ
ALL STYLE 1vs1 JUNIOR SOLOS BATTLES 7-12yrs | 1min Rounds and 45sec Battles
ALL STYLE 1vs1 VARSITY SOLOS BATTLES 13-17yrs | 1min Rounds and 45sec Battles
ALL STYLE 1vs1 ADULT SOLOS BATTLES 18 & Over | 1min Rounds and 45sec Battles
HHI SA SECTIONS
The Novice Section applies to Dancers or Crews that have never competed at any Dance competition before and is a complete beginner to the competition scene. The usual team composition, age brackets, rules, regulations and format of the HHI SA Rules & Regulations need to be followed. Dance Teachers, Directors and Crew leaders must use their discretion when entering dancers or crews in the Novice Section.
HHI South Africa is committed to build our Hip Hop dance community from the ground up, which is the reason why we run a Novice Section. This section will only be run at the Regional events. Novice crews will not advance to the National event. This is mainly to give novice dancers the opportunity to perform in their region and understand the HHI competition, which will inspire them to excellence.
The Amateur Section applies to Dancers or Crews that have competed in a Dance competition before but are not ready to enter into the Championship Pro level of the hip hop street competition scene. The usual team composition, age brackets, rules, regulations and format of the HHI SA Rules & Regulations need to be followed. Dance Teachers, Directors and Crew leaders must use their discretion when entering dancers or crews in the Amateur Section.
HHI South Africa is committed to build our Hip Hop dance community from the ground up, which is the reason why we run an Amateur Section. This section will also be run at the Regional events so that Amateur dancers can be inspired by the Championships Crews at National Level, which will inspire them to excellence.
The Championship Section applies to Dancers or Crews that have competed in a Dance
competition before and want to take the next step in qualifying to represent South Africa at the HHI World Championships that will be held in the USA every year. The HHI SA Rules & Regulations need to be strictly followed. Only the TOP 3 Crews in each Division will represent South Africa at the World Championships.
- Dancers will Dance in three stages of a Hip Hop All Style Solo Section: Quarter Final, Semi Final and Final.
- Solo Sections will be broken up into 3 Ages Categories Mixed Males & Females:
HIP HOP ALL STYLE JUNIOR SOLOS 7-12yrs
HIP HOP ALL STYLE VARSITY SOLOS 13-17yrs
HIP HOP ALL STYLE ADULT SOLOS 18 & over yrs
- Solo Dancers can enter in either NOVICE/AMATEUR/CHAMPIONSHIP
- Dancers will dance In two rounds In each stage for 60seconds to the DJs Music facing the Adjudicators. This is NOT a battle. First Round will have 3 or 4 dancers at a time. Second Round will see ALL Dancers taking the stage all together.
- 14 Dancers will be recalled from the Quarter Final to compete in the Semi- Final. 7 Dancers will be recalled from a Semi-Final to compete in the Grand Final.
- In the Final Dancers will dance Two Rounds. This will be the last chance for Dancers to showcase what they are made of to impress the judges. The First Round of the Final Dancers will Dance one at a time for 60seconds to the DJs Music. Second Round of the Final the dancers will dance ALL together for 60seconds. The Final will end of with Dancers lining up for Judges to make their Final Decision.
- The Dancers awards will be in order of merit 1st GOLD, 2nd SILVER, 3rd BRONZE and 4TH, 5TH, 6TH AND 7TH.
- All FINALISTS will receive a Medal and Certificate of their solo achievements.
- All Solo Dancers will receive a Competitive Number that MUST be worn in front of their chest with 4 safety pins.
- Adjudicators will select dancers for the Final using Numbers and NOT NAMES OF DANCERS.
- Solo Dancers can use any Street Dance Styles that best suits their Dance Style to the DJ’s Music. Dancers can represent one style or numerous styles.
- Dancers can Freestyle or Choreograph Routines but MAY NOT SELECT A SONG.
- All Song choices will be DONE by the DJ ONLY. DJ’s Selection is FINAL.
- DJ’s Music Mixes will consist of Different Street Dance Style Songs that best represent the Street Dance Culture. A 60second DJs mix will consist of more than one song choice to really challenge the Dancers and to entertain the crowd.
- All Solo Music will be available to all Dancers 14 days BEFORE the FINAL EVENT for Dancers to prepare.
- Dancers must wear any Street Dance Style outfit that best suits their Dance style. Clothes must be age appropriate, fit well and be for a Family Audience. Dancers that are NOT dressed correctly will be disqualified. Photos of the Street Dance Styles clothes can be sent to the organizers for approval. Dancers can NOT discard round.
- No PROPS Allowed
- All Dance Highlights form Breakdancing or Acrobatics are permitted but must be executed correctly and Not put any Dancer in Danger.
- Dancers do NOT have to dance with a FACE MASK.
- Judge’s Decision is Final. Judges Sheets will be made available at the end of the Competition for transparency
This is just a guideline. The exact Program and order of crews will be posted 10 days prior the event.
CHECK IN 9:00am -10:00AM
STAGE RUN & SPACING REHEARSALS 10:00AM-12:00PM
ALL STYLE SOLOS SECTIONS 12:00PM-14:00PM
NOVICE/AMATEUR SOLOS JUNIOR
CHAMPIONSHIP SOLOS JUNIOR
NOVICE/AMATEUR SOLOS VARSITY
CHAMPIONSHIP SOLOS VARSITY
NOVICE/AMATEUR SOLOS ADULT
CHAMPIONSHIP SOLOS ADULT
MINI CREWS 14:00-15:00PM
MINI CREWS NOVICE/AMATEUR
MINI CREWS CHAMPIONSHIP
SMALL CREWS 15:00PM-17:00PM
JUNIOR CREW DIVISION AMATEUR
JUNIOR CREW DIVISION CHAMPIONSHIP
VARSITY CREW DIVISION AMATEUR
VARSITY CREW DIVISION CHAMPIONSHIP
ADULT CREW DIVISION AMATEUR
ADULT CREW DIVISION CHAMPIONSHIP
MEGA CREWS 17:00PM-19:00PM
JV MEGA CREW AMATEUR
JV MEGA CREW CHAMPIONSHIP
MEGA CREW AMATEUR
MEGA CREW CHAMPIONSHIP
Only 1 crew manager / studio owner / academy owner will be permitted to represent each crew at check-in. They need to bring in a folder of all crew dancers (1)Signed Performer Waiver Forms and (2) Copy of ID Proof of Identification. We will not accept these forms via email, for ease at the event, you may bring a folder with all these requirements in them. Any crew member without these two requirements will not be allowed to compete and may jeopardize the whole crew.
The crew manager will be given the order of performance, all entry wristbands and any other necessary information at check-in.
A Proof of Identification, Age, & Nationality is strictly required for each performer to compete. Each competitor needs to submit a photocopy of any of these accepted forms of ID (a) passport, (b) birth certificate, or (c) SA driver’s licence. Photocopies need to be very clear. If they are blurry, they will not be accepted. Make sure that each crew member’s IDs matches their name entered on the registration forms. These photocopies will be collected at check-in. We will not
accept ID copies emailed to us.
Order of performance will be in random order. This will be available at the check-in desk upon arrival.
Crews need to be ready for their stage run and stand-by side stage 10 minutes before their time slot. Each MegaCrew & JV MegaCrew will have 6 minutes stage run while the other divisions will have 4 minutes per crew. Stage run is not compulsory. It is up to your crew to take advantage of it
The judging panel will consist of qualified judges as stated in the HHI Official Rules & Regulations. The confirmed judging panel will be released 7 days prior the competition.
Results and scores will be publicly posted as soon as possible on the HHI SA social media pages for transparency.
Performing area varies per venue but is at least 9 metres wide x 9 metres deep.
Please be reminded of the backstage crossover rule that affects the MegaCrew & JV MegaCrew divisions, where dancers are prohibited from crossing from stage left to right (and vice versa) behind the stage during their routine.
Only one Large Trophy and one Large Main Certificate will be awarded to the Top 3 Crews. Only the Top 3 Crews Dancers will receive Medals. All Dancers in the Top 3 will receive medals. Certificates will be made available online or via email for dancers to print their rankings.
Registration fee for Regionals are as follows: R250 per competitor
Entry fee per Dancer per Crew: R150
Entry Fee per Solo: R100
Bank: FIRST NATIONAL BANK | FNB
Account Name: HHI SA
Account Number: 63008451873
Reference: Studio Name/ Academy Name / Crew Name
Email music to email@example.com
The email title and label of your music track must include your crew name or it will not be considered. The organizers will be able to provide a service of checking music requirements if submitted by due date. Otherwise it cannot be done and your crew may have a risk of deduction if any music issues not followed from the Rules & Regulations. Failure to submit music by this date will also result in a late penalty fee. All crews are also required to bring their final mix in a USB and mp3 player on the day as backup.
HHISA will film every crew’s performance. Footage will be released on our Youtube channel and all Socila Media pLatforms after the event. If your crew goes through to the next round, we will not post your crew’s video just yet until after Nationals/Worlds.
The number of crews from Regional's that will qualify to compete at the SA National Championships will depend on the quality level of the crews in each province. The judges will select the best crews in the province to advance. Only 1st place winners will automatically qualify.
At the National Championships, the top 3 crews per division qualify to represent South Africa at the World Championships in the USA.
Spectator tickets will soon be available on www.hiphopinternationalsouthafrica.com
R100 per spectator
Connect with us on social media to keep posted.
Youtube: HHI South Africa
2022 National Championship hashtag: #HHISA
HHI South Africa is active on social media (Facebook and Instagram). However, please refrain from messaging us via these platforms as they are not the most reliable way to communicate important information. There are cases where messages are not successfully sent or received.
Please use Email or WhatsApp only for important matters and all crew submissions. Be organized and avoid sending last minute queries as we may not be able to attend to queries sent the day of or the day before the competition.
For all registration enquiries, please contact us via email at
Music submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org
HHI SA ELITE ADJUDICATOR
All HHI World Championship information is found at