The South African Hip Hop Crew Championships, presented by Mario Gomes is the premier street dance event in SA. It is a multi-day, live event featuring the best dancers and showcasing the most technical impressive hip hop street dance crews from all 9 Provinces of SA. The Dance Crews will Battle It out on the stage to see who will be crowned the national champions and have the honor of representing South. Africa at the World Hip Hop Championships in the USA. We are united under the concept “ONE Country, ONE Team.”
REGIONAL 1: Gauteng, North West, Limpopo, Mpumalanga and Free State & Kwa Zulu Natal.
REGIONAL 2: Western Cape, Cape Town Northern Cape and Eastern Cape
SOUTH AFRICAN NATIONALS & WORLD QUALIFIER
Please refer to and read carefully the most updated HHI Official Rules and Regulations Manual before preparing for the competition. It is your best guide on how to succeed in this competition. The HHI Rules and Regulations booklet can be downloaded from the HHI SA Official Website. www.hiphopinternational.com
Top 5 Crews in Each Division Qualify to represent South Africa at the World Championships
JUNIOR CREW DIVISION 7-12yrs. | Min 5 to Max 9 Members | 1:30min
VARSITY CREW DIVISION 13-17yrs. | Min 5 to Max 9 Members | 2:00min
ADULT CREW DIVISION 18 & Over yrs. | Min 5 to Max 9 Members | 2:00min
MINICREW Any Age | 3 Members | 1:30MIN
MEGACREW All Ages | 10-40 Members | 3-4:00MIN
JV MEGA CREW 17yrs & under | 10-40 Members | 3-4:00MIN
1vs1 ALL STYLE SOLO BATTLES
EXTRA DIVISIONS Only done at the South African HHI Competitions
JUNIOR Amateur/Novice CREW DIVISION 7-12yrs. | Min 5 to Max 9 Members | 1:30min
VARSITY Amateur/Novice CREW DIVISION 13-17yrs. | Min 5 to Max 9 Members | 2:00min
ADULT Amateur/Novice CREW DIVISION 18 & Over yrs. | Min 5 to Max 9 Members | 2:00min
MINICREW Amateur/Novice Any Age | 3 Members | 1:30MIN
MEGACREW Amateur/Novice All Ages | 10-40 Members | 3-4:00MIN
JV MEGA CREW 17yrs & under | 10-40 Members | 3-4:00MIN
HIP HOP ALL STYLE JUNIOR SOLOS 7-12yrs | 1min 2 rounds Only | Novice/Amateur/Champ
HIP HOP ALL STYLE VARSITY SOLOS 13-17yrs | 1min 2 rounds Only | Novice/Amateur/Champ
HIP HOP ALL STYLE ADULT SOLOS 18 & Over | 1min 2 rounds Only | Novice/Amateur/Champ
ALL STYLE 1vs1 JUNIOR SOLOS BATTLES 7-12yrs | 1min Rounds and 45sec Battles
ALL STYLE 1vs1 VARSITY SOLOS BATTLES 13-17yrs | 1min Rounds and 45sec Battles
ALL STYLE 1vs1 ADULT SOLOS BATTLES 18 & Over | 1min Rounds and 45sec Battles
HHI SA SECTIONS
The Novice Section applies to Dancers or Crews that have never competed at any Dance competition before and is a complete beginner to the Hip Hop competition scene. The usual team composition, age brackets, rules, regulations and format of the HHI SA Rules & Regulations need to be followed. Dance Teachers, Directors and Crew leaders must use their discretion when entering dancers or crews in the Novice Section
HHI South Africa is committed to build our Hip Hop dance community from the ground up, which is the reason why we run a Novice Section. This section will run at the Regional events and the Top 5 Crews will Qualify to represent the Novice section at the SA Nationals. Novice crews will not advance to World Championships. This is mainly to give Novice dancers the opportunity to perform in their Region / Nationals and understand the HHI competition, which will inspire them to excellence.
The Amateur Section applies to Dancers or Crews that have competed in a Dance competition before but are not ready to enter the Championship Pro level or the enter the World Championships. The usual team composition, age brackets, rules, regulations and format of the HHI SA Rules & Regulations need to be followed. Dance Teachers, Directors and Crew leaders must use their discretion when entering dancers or crews in the Amateur Section.
HHI South Africa is committed to build our Hip Hop dance community from the ground up, which is the reason why we run an Amateur Section. This section will run at the Regional events and the Top 5Crews will Qualify to represent the Amateur section at the SA Nationals. Amateur crews will not advance to World Championships. This is mainly to give Amateur dancers the opportunity to perform in their Region / Nationals and understand the HHI competition, which will inspire them to excellence.
The Championship Section applies to Dancers or Crews that have competed in a Dance competition before and want to take the next step in qualifying to represent South Africa at the HHI World Championships that will be held in the USA . The HHI SA Rules & Regulations need to be strictly followed. Only the TOP 5 Crews in each Division will represent South Africa at the World Championships.
- Dancers will Dance in three stages of a Hip Hop All Style Solo Section: Quarter Final, SemiFinal and Final.
- Solo Sections will be broken up into 3 Ages Categories Mixed Males & Females:
HIP HOP ALL STYLE JUNIOR SOLOS 7-12yrs
HIP HOP ALL STYLE VARSITY SOLOS 13-17yrs.
HIP HOP ALL STYLE ADULT SOLOS 18 & over yrs.
- Solo Dancers can enter in either NOVICE/AMATEUR/CHAMPIONSHIP
- Dancers will dance in two rounds In each stage for 60seconds to the DJs Music facing the Adjudicators. This is NOT a battle. First Round will have 3 or 4 dancers at a time. Second Round will see ALL Dancers taking the stage all together.
- 14 Dancers will be recalled from the Quarter Final to compete in the Semi- Final. 7 Dancers will be recalled from a Semi-Final to compete in the Grand Final.
- In the Final, Dancers will dance Two Rounds. This will be the last chance for Dancers to showcase what they are made of and to impress the judges. The First Round of the Final Dancers will Dance one (Solo Spot) at a time for 60seconds to the DJs Music. Second Round of the Final the dancers will dance ALL together for 60seconds. The Final will end of with Dancers lining up for Judges to make their Final Decision.
- The Dancers awards will be in order of merit 1st GOLD, 2nd SILVER, 3rd BRONZE and 4TH,5TH 6TH AND 7TH.
- All FINALISTS will receive a Medal and Certificate of their solo achievements.
- All Solo Dancers will receive a Competitive Number that MUST be worn Infront of their chest with 4 safety pins.
- Adjudicators will select dancers for the Final using Numbers and NOT NAMES OF DANCERS.
- Solo Dancers can use any Street Dance Styles that best suits their Dance Style to the DJ’s Music. Dancers can represent one style or numerous styles.
- Dancers can Freestyle or Choreograph Routines, but MAY NOT SELECT A SONG.
- All Song choices will be DONE by the DJ ONLY. DJ’s Selection is FINAL.
- DJ’s Music Mixes will consist of Different Street Dance Style Songs that best represent the Street Dance Culture. A 60second DJs mix will consist of more than one song choice to really challenge the Dancers and to entertain the crowd.
- All Solo Music will be available to all Dancers 14 days BEFORE the FINAL EVENT for Dancers to prepare.
- Dancers must wear any Street Dance Style outfit that best suits their Dance style. Clothes must be age appropriate, fit well and be for a Family Audience. Dancers that are NOT dressed correctly will be disqualified. Photos of the Street Dance Styles clothes can be sent to the organizers for approval. Dancers can NOT discard clothing.
- No PROPS Allowed
- All Dance Highlights Form Breakdancing or Acrobatics are permitted but must be executed correctly and not put any Dancer in Danger.
- Dancers do NOT have to dance with a FACE MASK.
- Judge’s Decision is Final.
This is just a guideline. The exact Program and order of crews will be posted 7 days prior the event.
ALL STYLE SOLOS SECTIONS
SOLOS JUNIOR NOVICE
SOLOS JUNIOR AMATEUR
SOLOS JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIP
SOLOS VARSITY NOVICE
SOLOS VARSITY AMATEUR
SOLOS VARSITY CHAMPIONSHIP
SOLOS ADULT NOVICE
SOLOS ADULT AMATEUR
SOLOS ADULT CHAMPIONSHIP
MINI CREWS NOVICE
MINI CREWS AMATEUR
MINI CREWS CHAMPIONSHIP
JUNIOR CREW DIVISION NOVICE
JUNIOR CREW DIVISION AMATEUR
JUNIOR CREW DIVISION CHAMPIONSHIP
VARSITY CREW DIVISION NOVICE
VARSITY CREW DIVISION AMATEUR
VARSITY CREW DIVISION CHAMPIONSHIP
ADULT CREW DIVISION NOVICE
ADULT CREW DIVISION AMATEUR
ADULT CREW DIVISION CHAMPIONSHIP
JV MEGA CREW NOVICE
JV MEGA CREW AMATEUR
JV MEGA CREW CHAMPIONSHIP
MEGA CREW NOVICE
MEGA CREW AMATEUR
MEGA CREW CHAMPIONSHIP
Only 1 crew manager / studio owner / academy owner will be permitted to represent each crew at check-in. The crew manager will be given the order of performance, all entry wristbands and any other necessary information at check-in.
A Proof of Identification, Age & Nationality is strictly required for each performer to compete. Each competitor needs to submit a photocopy of any of these accepted forms of ID (a) passport, (b) birth certificate, or (c) SA driver’s license. Photocopies need to be very clear. If they are blurry, they will not be accepted. Make sure that each crew member’s Passports/IDs matches their name entered on the registration forms. These photocopies will be collected at check-in.
Crews need to be ready for their stage run and stand-by the side stage 10 minutes before their time slot. Each Mega Crew & JV Mega Crew will have 6 minutes stage run while the other divisions will have 4 minutes per crew. Stage run is not compulsory. It is up to your crew to take advantage of it.
The judging panel will consist of HHISA qualified judges as stated in the HHI Official Rules & Regulations. The confirmed judging panel will be released 7 days prior the competition. Results and scores will be publicly posted as soon as possible on the HHI SA social media pages for transparency
Performing area varies per venue but is at least 9 meters wide x 9 meters deep.
Please be reminded of the backstage crossover rule that affects the Mega Crew & JV Mega Crew divisions, where dancers are prohibited from crossing from stage left to right (and vice versa) behind the stage during their routine.
Only the Top 3 Crews Dancers will receive Medals and Certificates. All Dancers in the Top 3 will receive medals. Certificates will be made available online or via email for dancers to print their rankings
Registration fee for Regionals / Nationals are as follows: R250 per competitor per year Once Off
Entry fee per Dancer per Crew: R150
Entry Fee per Solo: R150
Bank: FIRST NATIONAL BANK | FNB
Account Name: HHI SA
Account Number: 63008451873
Reference: Studio Name/ Academy Name / Crew Name
Email music to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The email title and label of your music track must include your crew’s name, or it will not be considered. The organizers will be able to provide a service of checking music requirements if submitted by due date. Otherwise, it cannot be done, and your crew may have a risk of deduction if any music issues not followed from the Rules & Regulations. Failure to submit music by this date will also result in a late penalty fee. All crews are also required to bring their final mix on a USB on the day as backup.
HHISA will film every crew’s performance. Footage will be released on our YouTube channel and all Social Media platforms after the event.
At the Regional Championships, the top 5 crews per division Novice, Amateur and Championship qualify to represent their Province at the SA National Championships.
At the National Championships, the top 5 Championship crews per division qualify to represent South Africa at the World Championships in the USA.
Connect with us on social media to keep posted.
YouTube: HHI South Africa
National Championship hashtag: #HHISA
Music submissions to email@example.com
HHI SA DIRECTOR
HHI SA ELITE ADJUDICATOR
All HHI World Championship information is found at www.hiphopinternational.com